Thursday, May 06, 2004

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.
-Richard Adams, Watership Down


Yesterday was a sad day. My beloved Bruffy family (Brett, Buffy, Skye and Arianna) lost one of their furry babies. Inky was truly the best cat I have ever known, and I don’t know anyone who has met “Inky-Do” who doesn’t agree. I loved my own dear Cat heart and soul. I honestly believe that she was the first creature, furry or non, that I truly loved, all the way, without any reservation, ‘til death did we part. She was a good kitty, and loved me, but I have to honestly say that she could be a bitch from hell when she wanted to. Not Inky. That cat was, as his daddy put it very plainly, a HO. He was a beautiful, long-haired, smoke-colored Himalayan. He loved to be loved, and tolerated every kind of extreme affection that humans, when faced with such a rare cat, could devise. His favorite trick with Brian was to get on the office chair and have Brian spin him around until he was drunk and then when Bri stopped the chair Inky would sort of fall of and stagger away. He loved for Brett to hold him upside down by his hind legs and rub that belly, and Ink would just hang there and purr like a small lawnmower. Buffy loved the way he sat in the high chair, upright, slumped to the side like a little middle-aged man, paws hanging down over his fluffy smoke-colored belly, nodding off while their busy life revolved around him. I loved to pick him up, belly-up and let him stretch out over my arms, he would curve all the way back and let me rub my face on his belly as much as I wanted. Mmmm, kitty belly love… He let me rub his little smushed-in nose* as much as I wanted, and he loved for me to chase him around the house. He would run by me and then wait at the foot of the stairs, or in a doorway for me to catch on or catch up… he played this game with me the last time I saw him.
That kitty is going to be missed by all of us, but I know that Brett is hurting worse than anybody. Inky was his spirit animal, mascot and homeboy**. I think the reason that Inky was such a wonderful cat is because he took after his PersonDad, and I know that Brett is probably feeling like he’s lost a part of himself. I lost Cat to the same illness that took Inky, kidney failure, and it is a hard thing. Buffy called me last night and my heart broke to hear her in her pain. Some people say that they are just animals, what’s the big deal, but those of us who love them and live with them in our homes and hearts know that they are just less troublesome children (except for all that hair). We celebrate their birthdays, give them Christmas presents and Sunday breakfast treats (Lu gets scrambled eggs) we put them in our art and consider them in all of our decisions. They are our best friends and they love us in a way that no human ever could. When we are sad, they give us a warmth and comfort that can’t be replicated in any other way, and when they leave us, they leave an empty space in us for the rest of our lives.

Inky, may the grass be long, the couches be cushy and the mice be slow, my friend. And may you find suitable laps to hold you and crazy people to chase you until we meet again.
- sam

Jubilate Agno

For I will consider my Cat Jeoffry....
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him.
For he is of the tribe of Tiger.
For the Cherub Cat is a term of the Angel Tiger.
For he has the subtlety and hissing of a serpent, which in goodness he suppresses.
For he will not do destruction, if he is well-fed, neither will he spit without provocation.
For he purrs in thankfulness, when God tells him he's a good Cat.
For he is an instrument for the children to learn benevolence upon.
For there is nothing sweeter than his peace when at rest.
For there is nothing brisker than his life when in motion.
For he is a mixture of gravity and waggery.
For every house is incomplete without him and a blessing is lacking in the spirit.

- Christopher Smart
(this is an edited excerpt of a poem written by a man who lived from 1722-1771)

*I LOVE to rub animal noses. BIGtime.
**These are photos of kitties that look a lot like Inky.

No comments: