Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Ursula - one of my Non-Imaginary Badass, Smartass, Redhead, Frazetta-type (but with MUCH bigger... BRAINS, you perves) Heroines - said something really wonderful to me a few weeks ago, I think during Faire breakdown. She said that she'd been listening to this album lately, and every other song on it made her think of me. When I asked what it was she said "'Still in Hollywood', Concrete Blonde." What a fantastic compliment, Ursi. Thank you. Great album, too, but then neither Concrete Blonde nor Johnette have ever made a bad album, so there.
She mentioned this again at the party on Saturday and I told her that I would love to hear that album again (she had it with her, and she shared! YAY!). Somehow, mysteriously, every CB album I buy disappears. Maybe that just goes to show that (a.) they really are one fantastic band and (b.) I have had some pretty !@#$% acquaintances over the years. Oh, I forgot (c.) both of the above.
Johnette is one of those women - like Ursula - that I could not help but admire. Ms. Napolitano is certainly not the natural beauty that our Ursi is*, but they both are WAAAAAY smarter than the average bear, they are brave, tough as hell, and not afraid to say what they think. YAY!
Johnette also has a voice like no other, and their sound is like Johnette says in 100 games of Solitaire, "... a train from Mexico to New Orleans and back again..." and don't forget to throw in the bottle of Tequila, too.
I told Ursula that I could probably guess the songs that made her think of me, but after the bulldozer rampage rant, and my ensuing train of thoughts, I thought this might be a good one to share.

Probably Will


They say I may be crazy,
I only say I've had my fill,
They say I'll throw it all
I probably will.
They'll only give you what you're taking,
But lately I've been unfulfilled,
They say I'll probably blow it off someday I probably will.
The way they talk about each other,
The way they talk about themselves,
Well they could talk, talk, talk forever,
And they probably will.
You know they probably will.
Now I'm not really bitter,
You know I'm just a little chilled.
They say that things can just get better,
And they probably will.
And they will only make us stronger,
If they should try to keep us still,
And we could rise and take it all,
Someday we probably will.
The way they talk about each other,
The way you talk about yourselves,
Well you can talk, talk, talk forever
And you probably will.
You know you probably will.

***

GO BUY SOME CONCRETE BLONDE, PEEPS! And I will leave you with a few other lyrics of theirs, from a favorite - 'Bloodletting', that echoes my sentiments very well today - and lots of days:
"I got the ways and means
To new orleans I’m going
Down by the river
Where it’s warm and green
I’m gonna have drink, and walk around
I got a lot to think about oh yeah..."

(but you gotta have that bass line to get it all...)
much love, peeps. Meet you on the levee?
xoxox
-s

*though I do think she's pretty darned cute. She looks like Wendy O's baby sister... :)
here's some more Wendy O pics, just for comparison's sake... not just to up the Badass factor of this rant by 10,000 points. Really.
And not to just make 9 out of 10 moms mad, either.

No comments: